Monday, June 28, 2010

Supporting the Victims of Human Trafficking -After participating in the workshop-

Hello. I am Yamane, a volunteer at APFS.

On Saturday, June 26th, I participated in the workshop, “IOM’s support for the victims of human trafficking,” held by the human trafficking task force coordinators from the IOM (International Organization for Migration) office in Japan. To be honest, I hadn’t known anything about human trafficking in Japan, as I thought it was a wide-spread crime outside of Japan.

I listened to stories of actual cases of human trafficking. A Filipino woman in her twenties was forced a fake marriage, was coercively taken to Japan from Manila, and worked under duress at a bar. A Thai woman (also in her twenties) entered Japan without knowing about her use of a fake passport and was forced to commit prostitution. I learned that many victims of human trafficking (for sexual and labor exploitation) suffer in Japan, and that they are in urgent need for help.

However, the low visibility of human trafficking in the Japanese society has caused a lag in the distribution of support, and we also lack government efforts and public shelters.
 
I have decided to inform the people around me of what I learned at the workshop.
I hope to participate in a workshop again. Thank you very much.